Friday 20 December 2013

Clams, Birds and Elves: A Summary of the Week

Often when misfortune befalls someone and the consequences are pretty upsetting, there will be that guy who tries to muscle in and gain a bit of credit for their powers of prediction. Whether it's the friend who tells their food poisoned chum that the clams had always 'tasted a bit iffy' to him or the parent who claims their son is suffering from pneumonia because 'he didn't listen when I told him to wrap up warm', it's infuriating when anybody rubs salt in a wound with a little nugget of I-told-you-so-ness.

For that reason and the fact that almost a week has passed anyway, I won't try and claim that I saw the events of the Man City game coming. I did unfaithfully predict a loss, but I nor anyone else saw us shipping six goals. It was a total freak result, with all the games played and and injuries and Yaya Toures catching up with us at the same time.

And it's because of this that I stand by what I said in my preview; I'm not too worried even though we did lose by three goals. I don't think the squad will be too cut up either. Wenger made the correct and least North Korean call by allowing the team Christmas party to go ahead despite a loss in the same week and Woody, Mario, The Bananas in Pajamas et al seemed to be in good spirits, undeterred by the presence of an intruder. I can remember just one other 6-3 scoreline in any game of football which tells you just how unusual our game with Man City was. We were outplayed but I still wouldn't read as much into it as the 8-2 of 2011. For the record, the other 6-3 was the time Julio Baptista, the original and best beholder of the nickname 'The Beast', wrecked Liverpool, Arshavin-style.

In other news, Jack Wilshere got a two game ban for flipping the bird at Man City fans. My reaction to this is pretty meh. He did wrong, he got a ban. Two games is obviously the norm for this sort of incident now which leaves little room for complaints. I'd be more upset if it was a more experienced figure like Per Merte-Cap'n-Jack-er who'd lost their composure. We know by now that Jack (Wilshere) is a little hot-headed so if a ban teaches him a lesson he needs to learn, the player and the club may benefit in the long run.

Other than that, it's pretty quiet. Some transfer murmurs are doing the rounds with January looming. Diego Costa is the latest name to be linked but you'd imagine even someone with as little loyalty as that guy would see leaving his adopted nation, only three months after claiming that Spain gave him 'all that [he] has in [his] life', as a tad hypocritical. Also I don't want him because he's a nasty guy. Some good news is that Lukas Podolski will return to the squad for the Chelsea game. He'll start on the bench but it's nice to have a player of his quality to change the game. I really like him too. His crazy ways make him prime material for cult hero status some time in the future.

The big news in football today is the whole Cardiff situation. For those who don't know, Cardiff's wacky/sinister Malaysian owner has fallen out with the manager big time and has apparently decided to sack him. He sent an email to Malky Mackay on Monday confirming his intentions which has left the media in the unusual position of reporting the fallout over manager being sacked... before he's actually been sacked. It's all pretty hilarious unless you're associated with Cardiff City Football Club in any way other than owning it. You do feel for the fans though who have already had to sacrifice much of their club's identity in order to reach the Premier League. Additionally, it makes me wonder what the FA's Good and Proper Persons test consists of if a mad dictator like Vincent Tan was allowed to purchase a club. Does the test perhaps ask the single question 'Are you a fit and proper person?'. Who knows.

Finally have a look at Santi Claus. The sound of the little Spaniard saying 'Santi Claus' is like a tickle on the belly and for me it's the best yuletide football joke since Gary Lineker ended MOTD with '...and Santa scores a hat trick.' following this game.

Anyway. That's about all we've got time for folks. I'll try and do a preview of the Chelsea game but if not, then I'll see you when I see you. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment